About Thanksgiving


About Thanksgiving Weekend

I never wrote about Thanksgiving weekend, and Christmas is coming quicker all the time. I have a lot of shopping to get done still. It’s always the hardest part of the season to figure out who to buy for and who to really invest in. Maybe the being broke part is another good first-place problem with the season. 

In all reality, I do love Christmas though. It’s been snowing here in Denver, and I’ve enjoyed spending some time in the snow. There’s not too much to do as far as landscaping in the winter, so I’ve had a bit more free time than usual, but I’ve been working as a snow-shoveler around the neighborhood. It keeps me busy, and I make a little extra spending money with it. 

I bet being in southern California this time of year would be awesome, but it would also leave me without snow and all the things that make Christmastime… well, Christmastime. The good news is, I can shop online so I don’t have to drive in the snow we had this last weekend, but I do get to blog and surf the Internet with a warm cup of tea in my hand. 

I’ve been getting a lot more into tea recently. I hadn’t realized there were so many amazing flavors. I’ve been a coffee drinker for a long time, but tea is new to me, and I wish I had tried it before. Maybe I should open a tea store….

And, I’m not talking these bags of teas I had as a kid. These teas are bags of dried herbs and stuff that you put into a strainer then place in hot water. There’s a place in Lakewood called Village Roaster. I went there with my friend, Jon. He got this tea called “Russian Caravan,” and we had some. It was a sweat taste mixed with the smell of smoking meat. It’s hard to explain, but I loved it! I went back and asked the lady what a good tea to try was. She suggested a Jasmine tea with sugar in it. That is what I’m drinking now, and it is soooo good!



Another Attempt at Talking about Thanksgiving Weekend

Anyway, now that I have gotten off the topic of Thanksgiving, I was going to tell you about my Thanksgiving weekend. I met my family at Angel Fire Resort in New Mexico. We stayed for the weekend and went skiing some. It was a fun time to just hang out. We didn’t have a big or fabulous dinner, but we got some food the day before and heated it up for our Thanksgiving dinner. 

We’ve never had Thanksgiving away from home before, but they decided that since Sigmund, my brother, wasn’t home, we might as well try something different (It’s normally just the 4 of us anyway). It was a great time, and I’d like to do it again. My mom and I have never been very serious or very good at skiing, but my dad has done it for most of his life. Growing up, he was the only one with his own set of gear. 

After our wonderful meal of leftover Chinese food and Mai Tais, compliments of some mix we picked up while shopping for the weekend, we watched Law Abiding Citizen, which, for some reason, I had never seen. The movie was great! I couldn’t look away the whole time. I really like movies that have a lot of things going on. This one seemed like a chess game to me. I think that’s part of what made it so great.

It seems like the less you expect something to happen in a book or movie, the better it is when that happens. Apparently this isn’t true for everyone though. My friend I mentioned before, Jon, said he’s been reading a series he called A Song of Ice and Fire. He said the author kills off so many characters you quit being attached to them, and then the death becomes normal and almost depressing. It must be a good series since he talk about it a lot though. 

4 comments:

{ Unity } at: December 21, 2011 at 11:20 AM said...

Haha, umm you put “sweat” taste instead of what I’m guessing is “sweet.” Just FYI ;) You should try Celestial Seasons Wild Berry! I love drinking that with a bit of sugar in there. Since I’ve moved to Irvine, too, I’ve been introduced to all kinds of yummy milk teas as well. I think I’m hooked on Honey Green Milk Tea with boba :D
I’m trying to read A Song of Ice and Fire too, but it’s pretty gross. All of my friends are into the TV series, so I’d thought I’d give it a whirl with the books. So far, though, I’m pretty disturbed, but I’m determined to finish them because I want to be able to talk with my friends about the events (since they found out I’m reading them, they ask me how certain things in the TV show compare to the books). Are you reading the books too?

{ Thor } at: December 31, 2011 at 4:39 PM said...

I got some celestial seasonings like you mentioned and took it to my family over break, it was a hit. Thanks for the suggestion. I agree on adding a little sugar. It seemed to bring out more of the flavor. I can't believe I didn't drink tea more before now. What is milk tea? I take it, it's more than just tea with milk in it?

I watched a couple episodes, but it didn't seem super high quality, and I wasn't drawn in. What my friend told me about the book makes me want to read it. I haven't yet though. You don't like it though? What do you mean, it's gross?

{ Unity } at: January 13, 2012 at 4:47 PM said...

It’s just gross…in the very first section [spoiler alert!] there is beheading, incest, attempted murder of a child…it’s just too much for me. Definitely not for the faint of heart ;] But if you are going to read them, let me know what you think! I’m curious.

{ Thor } at: January 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM said...

Hmmmm, I don't know if I would think of those as too terrible, but I understand why you might. I may read them. It's hard to find time to read sometimes. Life stays so busy!

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2011 Thor's Guide To Writing, All Rights Reserved. Template by DZignineDesign