Create a Focused Idea




Ideas For Starting a Novel

I daydreamed the other day about a girl who was standing over a guy. He laid face-down in the mud. 

The girl was probably eighteen to twenty years old, a little taller than average, and she had dark hair and green eyes. She held a bow pointed at a giant troll or ogre or something that was coming at them. I thought it was a cool scene, like she was protecting the guy for some reason.  

I decided she needed some sort of charm or something, so I thought up an eagle with garnet eyes. She kept the bow pointed at the giant for a long time until he came in range, then her necklace began rocking and her hair dazzled and a wind came up around her. 

That reminded me too much of an anime, so I decided to rewind my daydream and make the eagle cry a liquid drop of the garnet. The garnet blood landed on the shaft before the girl released her arrow. It sank into the giant’s single eye, and when the garnet touched the monster, he cried in a hideous roar.


I Found a Way to Begin Writing My Novel

I lost my daydream at that point because my roommate came in to ask something. I’ve been daydreaming like this a lot while trying to get ideas for my story, but I really like this one. 

I came up with this idea yesterday, but I keep coming back to the same story. I wonder why the girl is there or who the guy is and why he looks like he might be dead, in later thoughts, I made his clothes torn by some sort of claw, but I don’t know what would have caused that… maybe a monster of some kind. 

I want to make that a pivotal scene in my story, but I don’t really know where to begin. I took my roommate’s advice and began writing about a single person, so I wrote about Natalie (the girl in the daydream. Don’t ask why Natalie, I don’t know. I read down the names of people on a cd insert until I saw it. It sounds like the name of a girl who would be cute. :p)

PS: This is not intended to be part of the actual book; this is just to help me get an idea of Natalie’s character and where she lives and where she comes from. I should probably write more about Natalie, but I wasn’t sure how to do it without a story.

For the sake of organization, I moved the story to its own section here: My Novel

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2011 Thor's Guide To Writing, All Rights Reserved. Template by DZignineDesign