Check Out This Reason to Write a Novel!


Publishing Around the World

Wow, look at this article on a self-publishing craze in China! This is amazing! People are writing stories one chapter at a time, like I’m doing, and other people are paying to read them. It’s like the Victorian novels or even works like Stephen King used to do when he was younger.

 I thought serial publications were a thing of the past, but here’s an entire publishing trend based on them. I was right in my first post, there is a lot of money to be made in the world of writing. Look at what the article says, one guy makes the equivalent of about ₤100,000 a year. That’s about $160,000 a year just from his serial publications.

I should slow down and explain a little, but this is really exciting to me. Basically, a company in China has started encouraging people to write as a community. It seems like each person is writing their own book. Other people then pay for each installment of the novel that is being written.

 For example, they might charge 10 cents for each part/chapter of the book I’m writing in this blog. With thousands of people reading, I could be making hundreds of dollars a day off each installation. The company has so many people writing and reading, that they are able to keep publishing everything from quality books to amateur fan fiction.

Another Reason to Start Writing Your Novel

I want to start a company like this, now. I could call it “Thor’s Writing Hotspot” or something more reminiscent of 1980s magazines that used to have books by installment: maybe “Poltergeist Publishing” ^_^. The article says that the biggest problem for starting a company like that over here is that in the west, not enough people are writers, but I wonder if that’s true.

I know a lot of people who have wanted to write a book or who have even tried. I think most of us don’t finish because we don’t have time or become interested in something else, but look at how much of an interest there is in books, especially now that we have mobile devices to read on. I read this article on my iPhone!

Is anyone else interested in writing a book? Maybe if we start a community here, we can make it grow into something like they did in China. I’m definitely going to keep writing my book. Please offer any thoughts or feedback you have! 

4 comments:

{ Unity } at: December 2, 2011 at 9:37 AM said...

Writing a book would be so awesome! I just can never finish a whole chapter, let alone a whole book ;]

{ Thor } at: December 2, 2011 at 9:42 AM said...

I think it just takes dedication. I find that a lot of days I go out with friends instead of writing when I know I should. I went snowboarding last weekend. Really should be more diligent ;)

{ Starfell } at: December 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM said...

I love the advice you've written down here so far Thor! I would be very interested in writing my own book - maybe with your help?

After skimming through your lessons you mentioned to start with the characters. The way my mind works is that I require a world setting first. What are your thoughts on handling that situation? Perhaps it's a possible new blog to talk about?

{ Thor } at: December 31, 2011 at 4:33 PM said...

That's exciting! You should definitely try writing a book! What are you thinking of writing about?

Hmmmm. I'm not sure I understand your question. What do you mean? Are you trying to come up with a setting for your book and want ideas on how to do that?

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2011 Thor's Guide To Writing, All Rights Reserved. Template by DZignineDesign